Friday, September 17, 2010

I chose the third example.

"Las Vegas has too many people.(1.) There's not enough water in the desert to support more than a million people.(2.) And the infrastructure of the city can't handle more than a million people:(3.) The streets are overcrowded, and traffic is always congested; the schools are overcrowded, and new ones can't be built fast enough.(4.) We should stop migration to the city by tough zoning laws in the city and country.(5.)"

1. Is this in argument?
Yes

2. What is the conclusion?
We should stop migration to the city by tough zoning laws in the city and country. (4.)

3. Any additional premises needed?

There is too many people if Las Vegas can't handle more than a million people.

Las Vegas can't handle more than a million people if there isn't enough water, if the streets are overcrowded, and traffic is always congested, if the schools are overcrowed, and if new ones can't be build fast enough.

4. Identify any subargument:
Sentences 2-4
"There's not enough water in the desert to support more than a million people.(2.) And the infrastructure of the city can't handle more than a million people:(3.) The streets are overcrowded, and traffic is always congested; the schools are overcrowded, and new ones can't be built fast enough.(4.)"

5. Good Argument?
Yes it is a solid argument.

I actually enjoyed this exercise. It laid out the different parts of an argument and its claims. The one I chose was enjoyable because it is easy to relate to since I have family in Las Vegas.

1 comment:

  1. I also choose exercise three as an example to evaluate complex arguments. At first when I was doing this example I had trouble finishing it and I was getting frustrated so I was going to analyze the first example instead but I decided to just stick with this third example and analyze more closely. So after a couple moments of frustration It also made sense and I finished analyzing this third exercise. I don't know if you had trouble analyzing this too but good job analyzing this exercise and it all looks good.

    ReplyDelete